Croton tiglium
[Purging Croton, Croton-oil Plant]
photo
DSC08831 (07)
photo
DSC00359 (10)
photo
DSC00360 (10)
photo
DSC00357 (10)
photo
DSC00363 (10)
photo
DSC00362 (10)
photo
DSC00364 (10)

By mere chance, I actually grew 2 of this plant in a pot which eventually flowers and produce 2 seeds. I suspected that the seeds of the 2 plants came with the soil that I bought from a nursery. The identity of the plant was eventually revealed when it bear fruits. Below are the development of the 2 plants over time.

[A] The birth of the "unknown" plants in October 2009:

photo
DSC02131 (09)
photo
DSC02129 (09)

[B] Progressive growth of the 2 plants over the next 2 months:

photo
DSC02531 (09)
photo
DSC04376 (09)

[C] The plants were moved to a larger pot in January 2010. They adapted quite well to the new home:

photo
DSC06664 (10)
photo
DSC07597 (10)

[D] Between July and August 2010, they had grown to a small shrub with many leaves:

photo
DSC03889 (10)
photo
DSC05256 (10)

[E] One year later in September 2010, the flower buds started to appear:

photo
DSC05721 (10)
photo
DSC06238 (10)

[F] Finally, in March 2011, I got the first and only 2 fruits. This was the time that I eventually confirmed the identity of this "unknown" plant:

photo
DSC06322 (11)
photo
DSC06321 (11)

[G] The plants eventually died though I could not recall when it happened --- likely in the second half of 2011. In July 2013, someone checked with me on the availability of this plant in Singapore. I then realized that I still had the 2 dried fruits with me, kept in a sealed container.


| Next |